June 23, 2021

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 64

 

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 844

After a bit of a hiatus, I am starting up with the wet cyanotype/solarfast botanical printmaking. I always try to mark the solstices and equinoxes with some acknowledgment of the occasion, and this time I chose a big print on cotton sateen. 
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 845
Depsite, or perhaps because of, a cold snowy winter, my garden is doing very well this June. It's coming up on two years since I moved here, and all the work of weeding, rejuvenation, and making new beds is finally starting to pay off. For this panel I used a center leaf of ligularia 'Desdemona', some wood poppy leaves, brunnera, and chinese ginger. The center was coated with the cyanotype chemicals, and the edges with various colors of Solarfast. I put it out around 5 in the afternoon, left it out overnight, and brought it around lunchtime the next day.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 846
Considering I am ever so slightly out of practice, I am very pleased with how it turned out, and I am excited about the printmaking possibilities that lie ahead for the rest of the summer.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 847
At the last minute before exposure I spooned on some soap bubbles, and some of them kept their form long enougn to show up in the print. Success!

A reminder that you can also follow on your platform of choice:


3 comments:

Darcy Berg said...

I love the detail that the bubbles give. I will definitely be adding that to my toolbox. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Complimentiiiiii ma il solar fast non ha bisogno di un detergente apposito x il lavaggio finale?

Sue Reno said...

Sorry for the delay in finding this comment, google has mysterious ways...Yes, solarfast chemicals need to be washed after exposure with a neutral detergent, and I do so with my cyanotype/solarfast prints.