June 14, 2015

New Work in Progress – In Dreams I Learned to Swim


 In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 1
I’ve got a new addition to my River Series.  It began, once again, as an adventure in needlefelting.  The center portion of the panel is comprised of lots of wool roving, along with slivers and scraps of wool and silk.  In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 2
Surrounding the river are segments of silk and wool fabrics, some of which I’ve had for a long time.  I was stalled and had this hanging on the design wall for weeks, until I hacked out the pink silk print from an old skirt, and then the whole design came alive. The bits of purple print were cut from a silk scarf I brought back from India in the 70’s.  It felt good to have found just the right moment and project to finally use it.  After the fabrics were laid down and felted to the base, I added more roving and couched threads to add definition.In Dreams I Learned to Swim, by Sue Reno, Work in Progress, Image 3
Above is the view of the back of the panel at this stage, which is always interesting.

More to come.  And as always, thanks for reading and commenting.

3 comments:

KAM said...

Sue, once again you have stepped up to an expansion of your designing with the use of felting. This piece is wonderful.

Kristin

Maggi said...

A lovely piece and the back would work in its own right too.

Sue Reno said...

Thank you Kristin and Maggi! I appreciate your kind words.