February 3, 2014

Work in Progress – Vole and Viburnum, update 2

I am continuing my coverage of creating Vole and Viburnum, as featured in the current March 2014 issue of American Quilter Magazine.  I used this work in my article as an example when breaking down my cognitive process, and here in my blog I am covering the more technical aspects of the work.Vole and Viburnum, by Sue Reno, work in progress image 6
One winter I had an infestation of voles, under the deep snow, in a garden bed below some viburnum shrubs.  I discovered it after the fact in the spring, when the snow melted and I could see the network of runways they had built.  I discovered a bit later that their mission had been to snack on the smorgasbord of alstroemeria tubers and chionodoxa bulbs I had naturalized there.Vole and Viburnum, by Sue Reno, work in progress image 7
Thus viburnum became the plant of choice for the vole work.  (All the works in the Flora and Fauna series have a native mammal skull, a plant that I associate with that mammal, and some vintage needlework.)  I made a cyanotype print directly onto cotton using some viburnum branches.Vole and Viburnum, by Sue Reno, work in progress image 8
I layered the print with batting and backing fabric and machine quilted it intensively.Vole and Viburnum, by Sue Reno, work in progress image 9
I used a cyanotype print directly onto silk of some shasta daisies to stand in for my missing flowers.  Vole and Viburnum, by Sue Reno, work in progress image 10
After stitching, they seemed just a bit insipid, so I added vibrancy with textile paints.  SueReno_VoleAndViburnum_WorkInProgress11
Up next—the vintage component.

No comments: