I am continuing my coverage of creating Vole and Viburnum, as featured in the current March 2014 issue of American Quilter Magazine. I used this work in my article as an example when breaking down my cognitive process, and here in my blog I am covering the more technical aspects of the work.
One winter I had an infestation of voles, under the deep snow, in a garden bed below some viburnum shrubs. I discovered it after the fact in the spring, when the snow melted and I could see the network of runways they had built. I discovered a bit later that their mission had been to snack on the smorgasbord of alstroemeria tubers and chionodoxa bulbs I had naturalized there.
Thus viburnum became the plant of choice for the vole work. (All the works in the Flora and Fauna series have a native mammal skull, a plant that I associate with that mammal, and some vintage needlework.) I made a cyanotype print directly onto cotton using some viburnum branches.
I layered the print with batting and backing fabric and machine quilted it intensively.
I used a cyanotype print directly onto silk of some shasta daisies to stand in for my missing flowers.
After stitching, they seemed just a bit insipid, so I added vibrancy with textile paints.
Up next—the vintage component.