February 8, 2011

Groundhog and Green Bean Acceptance for National Fiber Directions

 I'm very pleased to announce that Groundhog and Green Bean has been accepted into National Fiber Directions, at the Wichita Center for the Arts, Wichita KS.  The juror for the exhibit is Jill Rumoshosky Werner, an artist whose innovative conceptual work I have long admired, so I'm doubly pleased that she included my piece in what promises to be a very interesting show. From the prospectus: "The exhibition is open, but not limited to, the following: uniquely designed functional pieces such as coverlets, pillows, tablecloths, garments, rugs, etc., and nonfunctional tapestries, wall hangings, 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional works which have been printed, painted, embellished, felted, woven, knitted, twined, cast paper, quilted, stitched, or other forms of manipulating fiber for art."  Doesn't that sound grand?  The exhibit will run from March 25 - May 8.
                                     
 Groundhog and Green Bean is part of my latest series, Flora and Fauna, where I'm using animal skull images from local wildlife paired with botanical prints and vintage textile elements.  I have a long standing love/hate relationship with groundhogs, as do most gardeners.  I lost a lot of greenbeans before I finally threw in the towel and fenced in the vegetable beds, so there might be a hint of schadenfreude in my use of the skull in this instance.
The skull prints are cyanotypes, made from macro photographs I took, and the green bean print is made directly from the leaves of last year's crop.

3 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Love the quilt and thrilled to hear it's been accepted to National Fiber Directions -- Congrats!

Judy Warner said...

Congrats. Remember when you posted it. May you have many more acceptances!

Judy Alexander said...

Congrats. Love your series work. I really need to tyr it.