December 13, 2008

Don't Try This at Home

I violated just about every guideline for making cyanotype prints this afternoon. This close to the winter solstice, the sun is very low in the sky, even at midday. The temperature was just above freezing. There was some light cloud cover, further diluting the weak sunlight. And the only treated fabric I had left after a season of making prints was bits and pieces, some of them "old", having been treated many moons ago.

Nonetheless, I was jonesing to make some prints of specific images for the Watt & Shand quilt(s), so I gave it my best shot. Judging exposure times under those conditions was tricky at best, but I have a lot of experience at printing in less-than-optimal conditions I( I get impatient, or have plant material that won't keep), and on the whole I was rather pleased with the outcome.

I spent most of the day in the studio, and I am on a bit of a roll. I've been collecting and ruminating over these images for so long, it's really exciting to be working with them and stitching on them.


There's still time --until Dec. 20th--to hop over to the Sue Reno Studio Sale and shop for affordably priced artwork. Why not treat yourself or a friend?

No comments: