October 18, 2018

New Work - Low Pressure

Low Pressure, by Sue Reno
Low Pressure
I am delighted to share with you my latest work, Low Pressure. It's the fourth quilt I've made using my wet process cyanotype prints. This time I used prints made in late fall, as the weather took a dramatic turn into winter. (Previous wet cyan quilts are Storm Watch, Heat Lightning, and Heat Index. I've got a meteorological theme going on, which seems appropriate as these prints are very weather-reactive.)
Low Pressure, by Sue Reno, detail 1
Low Pressure, detail 1
The prints were made with leaves foraged in my garden that had not yet succumbed to frost, along with some sweetgum leaves I had preserved in glycerin.
Low Pressure, by Sue Reno, detail 2
Low Pressure, detail 2

Several batches of prints were subject to freezing temperatures in overnight exposures, and one batch had a light snowfall obscuring the light for a few hours. They were all great fun to do, and to observe developing.
Low Pressure, by Sue Reno, detail 3
Low Pressure, detail 3
Overall, the effect of the cyanotype chemicals breaking down was much more subtle than with the summer prints made in high heat and humidity, but still more complex than a traditional cyanotype. I think they are beautiful, complex, and worthy of contemplation.
Low Pressure, by Sue Reno, detail 4
Low Pressure, detail 4
The quilt measures 78" high x 37 inches wide.
Low Pressure, by Sue Reno, detail 5
Low Pressure, detail 5
As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

A reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

2 comments:

Robbie said...

Wonderful quilt! I didn't realize low long this piece was!!!! It is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! Love the intensity of the cyano in the background too!

Sue Reno said...

Thank you Robbie! It's my pleasure to share.