October 13, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 31

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 498
Conditions were not ideal, but when are they ever? I had been away from the studio for a time and was itching to do some wet cyan work. The weather was partly cloudy, humid, and warm for October. The main difficulty was my lack of treated fabric, so I put the wet back in wet cyan and used cotton that I treated with the cyanotype chemicals on the spot. This method doesn't give the fabric time to absorb the solution as deeply, so the image tends to be more on the surface, but that's a difference I can live with in limited quantities. I started with a print of two calla lily leaves.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 499
I am also, after a summer of frenzied printmaking and quiltmaking, running out of my preferred cotton sateen prepared-for-dying fabric, so I experimented with wet treating sateen that I had previously painted with textile paints. I made two prints with this, a hosta and plume poppy arrangement, and one with Japanese anemone leaves and flowers. The white anemones are among the last perennials to flower in my garden, and their pure color and form is always most welcome.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 500
I proceeded on my last scraps of sateen with an ornamental sweet potato vine,
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 501
more plume poppy leaves,
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 502
and a painted fern frond. Everything was covered with glass and set out in the intermittent sun for about six hours.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 503
Here are the prints after exposure and before rinsing.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 504
That bit of pink around the edges of the calla print are from some highly diluted textile paint I sprayed on before exposure. Usually it migrates under the leaves, but not this time. Wet cyan prints are highly unpredictable.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 505
The ones on previously painted fabric are looking very promising.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 506
Again, when working with freshly treated fabric, I know there's going to be a lot of washout, so I let these dry overnight in the dark to help mitigate that a bit.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 507
And it's always good to appreciated them at this transitory stage.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 508

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 509
Here are the finished prints. You can never go wrong with calla lily leaves.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 510
I'm very happy with this one! The grid pattern in the leaves is from drying the peach painted fabric on my lawn furniture.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 511
Oh, this one's a beauty too. Stitching will bring out the leaf veining and petal shapes.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 512
A very solid sweet potato vine print here. Not a lot of wild coloration but great graphic impact.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 513
Same batch of chemicals, same exposure conditions, but this plume poppy print has a much softer feel and speckled surface texture.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 514
And the batch is rounded out with this soft fern print.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 515
All in all, a good experiment and pleasing results.

With this post, I am at 515 wet cyan images and process photos that I've posted here on my blog. I hope you are enjoying viewing them as much as I enjoy making and sharing them.

A reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: