June 22, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 20

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 324
 Welcome to part 20 of my experiments in wet cyanotype, where I share the good, the bad, and the ugly (there's really not too much of that) as I work to dial in an excitingly unpredictable process. I'm still catching up with myself, so this batch was done the first week of June. I started with treated cotton sateen and garden leaves. Above is a painted fern and a hosta leaf, below is a single hosta.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 325

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 326
 Above are some perennial favorites, a wood poppy leaf and a smallish plume poppy leaf, and below is another painted fern. I sprayed a bit of very dilute textile paint on them, specifically a mix of Dynaflow #804 salmon and #807 cranberry, added a spritz of diluted soda ash around the edges, then sprayed with plain water. I covered them with glass then put them out into partly sunny conditions, temperatures in the 70's F, for about 24 hours.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 327
 The above used up all my available stash of treated fabric, but it was a nice day and I wanted to keep going, so I dug around and found some remnants of pre-treated fabric I bought over two years ago. It's a basic muslin, and I suspect it was an agreeable price point because it wasn't real heavily treated with the cyanotype chemicals. Nothing actually wrong with it, but I tried it out then set it aside. For straight cyanotype prints, it's recommended that you use the treated fabric within six months or so, but I had nothing to lose here so I gave it a go.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 328
 Above are two plume poppy leaves, below is another wood poppy.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 329
 Here are the exposed and un-rinsed prints. Lots of nice color separation and mottling on these first ones:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 330

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 331

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 332

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 333
 And here are the old chemical/muslin ones. So pastel and pretty!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 334
 Wood poppy leaves have a lot of yellow sap, so they often turn into a bit of an eco-print.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 335
 Here are the rinsed, finished prints. I'm very happy with them:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 336

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 337

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 338
 Ok, maybe not as happy with this fern. The moisture pooled up around the middle of the fern and washed out the print. It happens sometimes. I could easily delineate it with pen or stitch if I wanted to. And the background is still cool, so I could cut it up for patchwork. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 339
 Here are the two muslin prints. They are so fancy!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 340
 If you have any old bits of treated cyanotype fabric tucked away somewhere, this would be a good way to use them.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 341
As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: