June 21, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 19

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 309
I'm catching up on the documentation of my wet cyanotype experiments. These were done at the tail end of May. The weather was cool, in the low 70s F, and partly cloudy, following days of rain. So it was not ideal but I was in a printmaking mood. Above is a sprig of variegated Solomon's seal, on cotton sateen. Below are two Japanese anemone leaves. For this batch I used a spritz of very diluted red textile paint, another spritz of diluted washing soda around the edges, then a spray of plain water. I covered them with glass, put them in the midday sun, and left them for about 20 hours.

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 310
Below is a christmas fern frond and three violet leaves.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 311

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 312
Above, an 'August Moon' hosta leaf; below, a wood poppy leaf.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 313
Here are the finished but unrinsed prints. I like to photograph them at this stage because it is so ephemeral.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 314

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 315
The violet leaves were very thin and tender and basically dissolved during the exposure. Were I to use them again I would shorten the exposure.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 316

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 317

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 318
And here are the finished prints. Lots of lovely blue tones in the Solomon's seal leaves, and not much breakdown of colors in the rest of it.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 319

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 320
The violet leaves are practically ghost prints. If I chose, I can later delineate the edges with stitching, or I can leave them more subtle.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 321

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 322
Hosta leaves and wood poppy leaves never disappoint with the wet cyan process. This is such an addictive exercise for me, I am always so excited to see what happens. More to follow.....
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 323
As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: