December 27, 2022

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 81

 

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1029
They are all special, but this one has some extra panache. Take a look with me as I continue to wrap up my year in botanical printmaking.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1030
It's been a long standing unfulfilled desire of mine to grow a fig tree outdoors; various practical factors have prevented it. So when I spotted a beautiful specimen in a friend's garden, asked to harvest a few leaves for printmaking, and she graciously agreed, it was a red letter day for me.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1031
I brought the leaves home, lightly pressed them, and prepared my most chaotic set up to date for wet printing with cyanotype and solarfast chemicals on cotton sateen. Above are the prints before exposure, below shows them after exposure and before rinsing.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1032
I didn't take detailed notes on how I laid them out, I was in a bit of a frenzy, so even more so then most this is one-of-a-kind.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1033
I absolutely love the fine leaf veining detail that's showing up here. This is due to how I applied the chemicals, the weather conditions, and the various saps and physical conditions of the leaves themselves.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1034
Here are the finished prints. The large panel is roughly 2 ft. x 4 ft. I am going to have spend some time with it, deciding how to use it in a quilt. I am over the moon with the detail and complexity of it.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1035

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1036
The smaller individual prints retained that fine structure even after rinsing out. 
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1037

Thanks as always for reading! You can also follow along on your platform of choice:

No comments: