August 1, 2022

New Work - Tropical Depression

Tropical Depression by Sue Reno
Tropical Depression
I am happy to share another brand new quilt, Tropical DepressionIt's one of the quilts making its debut at the Virginia Quilt Museum in my solo show, Beyond the Blue: Contemporary Narrative Quilts by Sue Reno. The exhibit runs from August 16 - October 23, with a reception on September 23.

Tropical Depression by Sue Reno, detail 1
Tropical Depression, detail 1

As weather patterns shift and storms become more extreme, around the world and in my corner of it in suburban Pittsburgh, PA, I find myself making weather-related quilts. I spend a lot of time outdoors observing nature, and what may seem like small events taken individually add up to seismic shifts in the way I perceive the world around me. Tropical Depression references weather systems that are often the precursors to tropical storms and hurricanes; even without progressing they can dump a lot of rainfall. From time to time they make they make their way onto land and travel up the coast, and can cause severe thunderstorms.

Tropical Depression by Sue Reno, detail 2
Tropical Depression, detail 2

Here I am capturing some of the energy of these storms, using native Virginia creeper wet cyanotype prints and a somewhat chaotic summertime palette. The swirl in the main print, and the echo quilting, reminds me of wind contour and flow pattern weather maps.
Tropical Depression by Sue Reno, detail 3
Tropical Depression, detail 3

Again referencing the "Narrative" part of the exhibit theme, I have my own stories about riding out severe storms and their aftermaths, and I am leaving space for others to bring their own personal perceptions to the viewing experience.
Tropical Depression by Sue Reno, detail 4
Tropical Depression, detail 4

 In addition the the wet process cyanotype/solarfast prints, Tropical Depression has patchwork made from commercial and artist-painted silks and cottons, and is heavily stitched. The size is 48" x 37".


Thanks as always for reading! You can also follow along on your platform of choice:

No comments: