July 7, 2021

Experiments in wet cyanotype -part 65

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_Image 848 Back to printmaking with the bounty of my backyard! In this case, the bounty includes way too much invasive Japanese knotweed. I'll never make an actual dent in it with the slashing and collecting I do for making prints, but it's at least a satisfying nod to the lemonades-from-lemons trope. And it does work very well for wet cyanotype printing, with good sized leaves that cooperate and lay flat. Here I've combined it with some box elder leaves, a so-called trash tree (little commercial value) that I also have in abundance.

Above is the panel, about 2" x 4", on cotton sateen, after printing but before rinsing and finishing. And below is the finished panel. It's got lots of vibrant color, which makes me happy.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_Image 850I got some great detail in this panel. The cyanotype part rinses out when the resist is a solid hearty leaf, but sometimes I can get more detail, including brushstrokes, from the solarfast chemicals.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_Image 851
I also love the bubbles and voids and bright spots I've been working on dialing in with the combo process.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_Image 852
A reminder that you can also follow on your platform of choice:

No comments: