April 19, 2019

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 37

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 582
 Welcome to part 37 of my ongoing experiments with and documentation of the wet cyanotype process.  I began this batch, on a gorgeous spring day, with an equally gorgeous and newly emerged flowering sprig of bleeding heart.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 583
 I followed that up with an equally beautiful sprig of Japanese andromeda, aka Pieris. This is the third installment I've done this spring, as it has progressed from buds to full bloom.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 584
 And then, because nothing else in in leaf yet, I moved on to two panels of garlic mustard. This is an invasive non-native plant, the scourge of my garden and especially of the woodlands, but it does make for some interesting prints. All of these are on cotton sateen that I treated with the cyanotype chemicals. This time around I didn't use any enhancements, just water. The weather was around 70F and partly cloudy, which sometimes works better than full sun for capturing blossoms.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 585
 Here are the exposed, unrinsed prints. I could tell right away that the cyanotype gods were on my side/I had done a good job with the exposure timing.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 586
 Lots of small brown dots from a bit of eco-printing on these flowers; already beautiful.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 587
 And look at the much-disparaged garlic mustard! The leaves shrank as it exposed, leaving a sort of double outline, and there's just a sterling fire-and-lightning effect on the right.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 588
 There's good stuff going on here also.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 589
 Here are the finished prints. Every so often I think I'm done with this process, I have enough prints already, and then this happens:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 590
 I'm so excited by this batch of prints.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 591
 The ultimate goal for my cyanotype prints is to include them in a larger work of art. These are going to look so great when I add the stitching.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 592
 So fancy and frilly!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 593
If you are a regular reader, thanks for stopping by!
If you are new here, you can follow all 37 parts of my wet cyanotype adventure, with all the tips and tricks and images, by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or by going here.

You can also follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

1 comment:

Auntlilly said...

Sue, this batch really came out amazing. That mustard leaf is real interesting. Keep up the experimentation.
Barbara Wise