December 4, 2017

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 14

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 204
Once again, I had packed away my supplies, but the weather remained mild, and my obsession with and curiosity about the wet cyanotype process remains dialed up to 11, so here we are again. There  had been mild frosts, but no hard freeze, so there were still some scraps of leaves about. I had a warmish, sunny day on tap, but no treated fabric on hand. I realized I could experiment with really putting the "wet" in wet cyanotype, and start with fabric freshly painted with the cyanotype chemicals. I started with a 16" x 20" piece of cotton sateen and some sweetgum leaves, wood poppy leaves, and a christmas fern frond. I was gratified to see that the reaction began immediately upon exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 205
Next I tried a 10" x 12" exposure of a sweetgum leaf:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 206
It also colored up right away:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 207
So I added a wood poppy/sweetgum print:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 208
A wood poppy/damaged pulmonaria leaf/holly fern:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 209
Some golden raspberry leaves:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 210
and wood poppy with big root geranium:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 211
The first four were set out on my deck with indirect sunlight, but the last two I set in the driveway in the direct sun. The immediate reaction was this lovely rich teal color:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 212
I like to leave prints out for 24 hours if possible, because overnight the moisture condenses on the glass and adds to the movement of the chemicals on the fabric. On this night the temperature dipped below freezing, and two of the prints which were up on a table got a bit frosty.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 213
It was exciting but (spoiler alert) didn't seem to change the resulting print in any significant way.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 214
Here are the finished, dried, but un-rinsed prints:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 215

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 217
There's lots of deep, dark color in the background, and very subtle color shifting.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 217

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 218
The two that got direct bright sun immediately upon exposure also got a bit splotchy.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 219


Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 220
Here are the finished prints. I think they are quite lovely. You can click on any image to enlarge it.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 221
There is a lot of contrast in this batch. The masked, unexposed areas under the leaves are very bright and white.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 222
I think because the fabric was freshly treated, the chemicals in the wet areas under the leaves wicked out into the rest of the print, something like when I make a heliographic print with textile paints.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 223

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 224

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 225
In general I think I prefer the results from pre-treated, dried fabric, but this is a good trick to have in my arsenal and I'm quite happy with the results.

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 226

If you are new here, welcome! I've been detailing and documenting my experiments with wet cyanotype in great detail; you can read it in reverse chronological order by clicking the Wet Cyanotype tab in the top header, or click here.

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

2 comments:

SPC Matsick said...

Wow, these are great! The varied colors within the leaf shapes have so much interest to them. When I was a child I had a cyanotype kit but I didn't get far with it. Now that I am an adult I would like to try the process again. Also, I returned to the Ned Smith Art Center and read the binder booklet you left detailing the process.

Sue Reno said...

Thanks Amos. I (obviously) love the cyanotype process and never tire of the variations and surprises it provides. You should definitely give it another try. And how cool that you went to view my exhibit again!