April 27, 2011

Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2011 Acceptance - Watt & Shand #9

 I am pleased and excited to announce that Watt & Shand #9 has been selected for Art of the State:  Pennsylvania 2011, held June 19 - September 11, 2011, at the Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg, PA.   This is a very competitive exhibit, with 135 works in all media chosen out of 1,942 entries.  The juror for Sculpture and Crafts is Beth Ann Gerstein, Executive Director, the Society of Arts and Crafts, Boston, Mass.
 Watt & Shand # 9 is part of a series of ten works I made about the transformation of the former Watt & Shand department store into a hotel and convention center; the original facade was preserved, and I became fascinated with architecture and imagery of the construction work in progress.  You can read more about #9 here and here, and see the entire series on my website here.
#9 has digital prints and thermofax prints, and I've always been particularly happy about the way I was able to work out the colors for this one.  They seemed unlikely at the onset but I soldiered on and it all worked out.

No comments: