September 29, 2010

New Work - Fox and Hackberry

Fox and Hackberry is completed!  It will be on my website soon, but I'm happy to share the first look at it here with all my loyal blog readers.  It's 50"h x 66"w, and features cyanotypes on cotton, made from photos I took of a red fox skull, a heliographic hackberry print, and some almost-traditional patchwork.  You can read about the cyanotype process in a previous post here, and see the results below.  I am very happy with how crisp and detailed these prints came out--I spent a lot of time on the photography.

Those wonderful swirly shapes in the center are vintage hand-crocheted doilies, appliqued onto a piece of silk I hand painted:

Here's another detail shot, with skulls and a portion of the hackberry print.  I saw a red fox in my backyard this past winter, running along the edge of the woods where the hackberry trees grow:

Fox and Hackberry is one of the new works in my Flora and Fauna exhibit that just opened at the PA Arts Experience Gallery at 114 N. Prince St., Lancaster, PA.  Here's the front of the exhibit postcard:

And the reverse of the card with all the relevant info.  I will be at the Gallery on 10/1 from 5 - 9 for First Friday, and again on Saturday as part of the Art Walk festivities.  It's going to be great weather and great fun--hope to see you there!

5 comments:

ann said...

This is a WONDERFUL compositional arrangement of some very unusual elements. The 'almost traditional quilting' is very impressive. All of the diverse elements seem to agree with each other making the whole a GREAT piece. Congratulations!

RedHeadedQuilter said...

This is wonderful Sue! Wow. I wish I had your imagination and knack for putting unrelated things together in a pleasing way like this!

Diane Doran said...

Wow, Sue, that is amazing!Many congrats on your show and all the new work in it.

Sue Andrus said...

Really neat!! It's amazing how you are able to connect everything together...

I thought of you this summer when I found a sun-bleached woodchuck skeleton :)

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

The detail in your skulls is so very sharp. This is really a spectacular piece.