March 13, 2010

Today's Feature: Watt & Shand #5

Today's feature is Watt & Shand #5, another work using screened images. Here I focused on
the repetition of a single image, and manipulated the colors and the scale. I kept the neutrals, blues and oranges of the previous works, but amped them up, intensifying the blue to a turquoise, the orange to a burnt hue, and the buff tones to a shiny gold silk. I also went for the high contrast of black and white. Many of the fabrics I hand painted to get just the right effect.

True confession time--the photo below was taken in April 2007. It happened by chance that I rounded the street corner and saw this amazing structure with the blue sky shining through the windows, and I was smitten by the beauty and the possibilities. I took a lot of amazing pictures that day, then lost them a few days later in a computer crash; I was not quite current enough with my backup. This was the only one remaining, which I had emailed to a friend and thus was able to retrieve. I am still a bit haunted by the ones that got away, but I'm by nature an adaptable optimist and so I've made the best of what I had to work with.
Along with making the screen prints, I had the image custom printed on yardage that I used for the borders. Using borders references the format of traditional quilts, Lancaster is one of the epicenters of the traditional quilt world, and I've made my share of almost traditional work (I was rebellious about some of the rules) so it all ties together nicely. A bonus is the lacey effect the repeated images gives to the edges of the work."Transformation: The Watt & Shand Series" opens on 3/19 with a reception from 6-8 at the Arts Hotel Gallery in Lancaster, PA; there's a special reception on 3/25 from 5-8, and a "First Friday" reception on 4/2 from 4-8. Tell your friends!

No comments: