July 6, 2008

Concert at Longwood Gardens


A few days ago I had the good fortune to attend a concert at Longwood Gardens, the former DuPont estate. We arrived with a bit of time to spare before the show, and while the conservatories were closed for the night, we were free to wander about the grounds. We headed toward the new tree houses-that's part of the Lookout Loft above.


The structures aren't actually attached to the trees, to prevent damaging them:


From there we headed down a woodsy trail, and spotted an amazing chicken of the woods fungus growing on a stump:
I seem to have a propensity towards finding this particular fungus frequently. This was an especially nice specimen, although the color was fading:
Those little spots are a small flying insect that feeds on the fungus--I haven't been able to identify them yet:

Here's the Chicken of the Woods quilt I made last year:

Finally it was concert time, and we made our way to the lovely outdoor amphitheatre where the stage was set up. I go to a lot of concerts, and this venue ranks near the top of my list for providing a pleasant and hassle-free environment. The band was incredible and amazing--Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival. If I wasn't such a responsible tax-paying citizen, I would sell my possessions, buy a van, and follow whatever bands they were playing in around the country. Go if you get the chance!


No comments: