February 18, 2008

Reflections and textures


Like most sentient beings in the northern hemisphere, I get a bit restless this time of year. Luckily today there were a few pleasant and sunny hours, so I set off for a ramble around the lake. There's always something interesting to observe there. I often photograph this partially submerged log, and today there was the added interest of thin patches of ice and some nice reflections.
The lake was crowded with migrating geese and ducks:



Along with the wide view, I focused in on some textural details, like this burl:
And this bark:
Back in the studio, I spent the rest of the day sewing strips of fabric into larger strips, so I can cut them apart and reassemble them again. They will be part of a quilt featuring plume poppies.
I enjoy this kind of work; the colors and the arrangement may look random to the casual observer at this point, but it's all part of a grand scheme that is occupying most of my waking, and some of my sleeping, moments at this point.

No comments: