July 16, 2022

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 78

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 987
Here's a fresh batch of wet cyanotype prints for your viewing pleasure. I've been doing a lot of sewing so far this summer, stitching on various configurations of previous prints, and haven't been making as many prints, but I still have to scratch that itch from time to time.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 988
I started with a hemlock sprig, and two configurations of box elder leaves on mineral paper.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 989
I then prepared two configurations of elm leaves on cotton sateen. I mixed just a smidge of green Solarfast in with the cyanotype chemicals.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 990
It's been hectic around here, so I completely missed the exposed-but-not-rinsed photos, but I've got plenty of other examples of that in this series of blog posts. So lets just skip to the good stuff, like this completed hemlock print. I am in love with the complexity of this one!

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 991
There's a lot going on with the box elder leaves as well.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 992
It's like there's distant galaxies swirling around in the background. (And yes, I am obsessed with the first images released from the James Webb Space Telescope.)
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 993
The prints on cotton are a bit calmer, but there's still a lot of beautiful variation and coloration going on here.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 994
And maybe some distant galaxies as well, in the background.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 995

Thanks as always for reading! You can also follow along on your platform of choice:









 

2 comments:

Leaf said...

Hi Sue! Came across your work only today, and I've been meaning to try cyanotype myself for a long time, but I wanted to experiment with it a bunch and I'm yet to come across anyone who's had results as lovely as yours. I'm an artist and Game designer from India and I love what you're doing, the galaxies you've formed here and your earlier trials as well.

Sue Reno said...

Hi Leaf, thanks for the kind words! I've been at this a long time, and I've learned a few things which I'm happy to share.
I have an enduring love for India--in the blog header I've got a link to posts about my travels there, from a trip in 2011, a lot of vintage pictures from when I lived there as a student in the 1970s.