March 25, 2021

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 63

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 826
The early spring sunshine persisted so I made another batch of wet cyanotype bubble experiments.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 827
The first three are on mineral paper, with pressed sassafrass leaves, and dish soap bubbles added just before covering with glass.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 828
For the fourth one I used a red mulberry leaf. The all looked very promising right from the start.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 829
It's early days of experimenting with bubbles on fabric. The fabric absorbs a lot of the water structure of the bubbles so it's a bit trickier and gives a more subtle effect. This one uses pressed oak leaves, along with a bit of Solarfast chemicals.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 830
For the last one in this batch, I wanted to see what happened if I didn't smash the bubbles. I didn't think they would last long uncovered, but I have some glass cabinet doors left over from a remodel, and with the wood framing the glass sits up just a bit from the surface. The white spots here are the globs of bubbles. The leaves are more red mulberry.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 831
Here are the prints after exposure but before rinsing out. 

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 832
I am really starting to get the hang of working with mineral paper and I like it a lot.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 833
You can see lots of bubble structure, along with a lot of swirly weirdness,
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 834

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 835
The oak print looks very gothic and mysterious at this point.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 836
The one under the cabinet door got interesting. Some of the bubble structure remained, and got printed, but it also leaked out into a sort of corona effect. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 837
Here are the finished prints. I find them to be extremely beautiful.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 838

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 839
The colors, the swirls, the bubbles, the imprints at the edges of the leaves all thrill me.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 840

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 841
Here's the oak print. Up close, you can see bubble structure. If I had been working with fresh leaves, I would have got more of an imprint in the interior of the leaf, but with the dried ones it's a blank resist. Since it is on cotton I can add vein structure with stitching as desired.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 842
This last one has a lot of potential. I need to pin it up on the design wall and think about it a bit. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_image 843
A reminder that you can also follow on your platform of choice:

No comments: